Just after 7:30a.m. Thursday, local fire departments responded to a call for smoldering grain cited in the basement of Agriway Partners at 126 E Avenue in Kalona. Firefighters on scene were able to remove the burning grain in buckets and secure the area. Kalona Fire Chief Jerry Zahradnek stated that the fire appeared to have begun inside the mixing mill leg, resulting in fire both inside and outside of the equipment. Crews worked on scene for around an hour. Damage was minimal and there were no injuries reported.
The Kalona, Wellman and Riverside Fire Departments responded to the call.